Wesleyhaven Village is the result of the generous donation in 1949 of 150 acres of land by Mr WT Strand (a former Mayor of Lower Hutt.) At that time the then Minister of Finance, the Hon Walter Nash noted, “the scheme of providing eventide homes in the Hutt Valley….is among the finer social works that have been planned in the interests of older people in our community.”
Early concept plans show clusters of cottages set around large communal vegetable gardens.
In today’s language, Wesleyhaven Village now provides a continuum of aged care, catering for all needs, ranging from independent living in rental villas to supported care in our rest home and continuing care in Wesleyhaven’s hospital.
Wesleyhaven and its parent organisation, Wesley Community Action are part of the Methodist Church. As a not for profit charitable organisation, Wesleyhaven Village has a strong commitment and proud reputation for working in the Wesley Way.
In essence we are about people – not profit.
‘Reflections – The Wesleyhaven Way’, was published in 2011 to record Wesleyhaven’s proud history and tell some of the stories about the characters that have lived and worked there.